Careers at Nottingham
While a specific background in our core areas – fund and portfolio accounting, transfer agency and shareholder services; securities industry compliance – might constitute an ideal background, that is not always an opportunity in eastern North Carolina. Some of the best members of our team had a core native intelligence, good communication skills, a personable demeanor and an intense intellectual curiosity. Those character traits cannot be taught. Industry specific skills can be taught.
We also have been quite fortunate to bring in experienced industry individuals who wanted to move to a better climate and quality of life, and some who moved to North Carolina to be with family. Or both.
If you think your background, skills and temperament might be a match, send us a note and your resume to email@example.com. Nottingham is an equal-opportunity employer, and we are very proud of our benefits program and working environment.
Submit an Application
The Fund Accountant is responsible for the accurate and timely calculation of the Net Asset Value (NAV) for funds administered by Nottingham. Fund accountants work both individually and in a team structure handling investment portfolio accounting, acting as liaison with clients, interacting with outside auditors, custodians, clearing brokers, and internal constituents.
- Performs daily accounting functions for assigned funds to include calculating and delivering net asset values for various investment products, including mutual funds, private funds, and government investment pools
- Updates and monitors daily trading, general ledger activity and pricing of funds to ensure accuracy of daily NAV calculation
- Records dividends, interest, and expense accruals
- Monitors corporate action notifications
- Records and reconcile daily capital stock activity
- Ensures all fund transactions are properly posted to accounting system
- Applies accounting and finance principals to numerous asset types
- Responds to questions from the fund’s investment advisor and various internal constituents
- Reconciles fund records to custodian, transfer agent, and portfolio groups on a daily basis
- Prepares monthly reconciliations and periodic auditor requests
- Provided unique daily, weekly, monthly, and periodic reporting as required by clients, investment advisors, management, and outside reporting entities
- Prepares and reconciles daily trial balances for assigned funds
- Assists with the preparation of board reports
- Assists with the preparation of semi-annual and annual reports
- May perform other duties as required and assigned
Education / Skills / Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business, or related field required.
- 0-8 years’ experience in fund accounting
- Ability to learn accounting and financial principals for numerous investment vehicles
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining careful attention to detail
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines and address competing priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, especially Excel
- Effective written, listening, and verbal communication skills
- Effective problem solving and critical thinking analytical skills
Background in the following areas will differentiate a candidate:
- Knowledge of investment portfolios and various types of investment securities
- Knowledge of trust and/or partnership accounting
- Review of P&L allocations
- Identifying and resolving exceptions and problems relating to accounting records
- Preparation of quarterly, semi-annual, and annual financial statements
We pride ourselves on a strong family-like, team-oriented culture and pleasant, relaxed working atmosphere. Nottingham offers a competitive benefit package and the ability to grow and advance.
If you are interested in learning more about this position, please send resume and cover letter expressing interest to HumanResources@ncfunds.com.